Almost Pear Tarte Tatin

So here’s my first try at Pear Tart Tain. I used this recipe by Rachel Allen. What I failed to read (blame it on the half a Benadryl I had to take after eating a fresh pear in the morning) was that I needed to put the pan back on the heat for a while to caramelize the pears. By the time I realized I needed to do this, I had already poured the caramel into a pie plate… a glass pie plate. Next time I’ll dig out a metal cake tin and do the final caramelizing in that before baking.

I used a premade shortcust pastry and it was delicious! Really, this dessert was so easy. I don’t know why I’ve not made it before. If you’re interested in trying this, It think it’s worth watching Jamie Oliver’s video for Banana Tarte Tatin. He uses puff pastry, which I love. I am going to do that next time.

And as usual, it’s delicious with a small (or not so small) dollop of vanilla ice cream. Or clotted cream, if you can get it :-)

Filed Under: BlogFeaturedFood

1. Barbara Blundell says:

Hi japra
    The Pear Tarte tartine looks absolutely delicious caramelized or not. Have made a tartine with apples but must try pears next time It’s a pity about the allergy to them.
    Have the hazelnuts survived ? We had a good crop for the first time this year and the squirrel stripped the tree bare !
    Quince jelly is supposed to be very pleasant but I have never made any R gathered about 10 ibs blackberries last week.

Barbara, we had a handful of hazelnuts, but I was lazy and left them for the squirrels.

I am looking forward to hearing what you’re going to do with all of your blackberries! You are always such an inspiration in the kitchen :-)

Oh my… my husband will be getting a treat when we get back from AZ! that is so so enticing JaPRA. TY!

3. julia says:

yum! glad to see the Benadryl’s workin’ for ya.

Ohhhh you made it! It looks very pretty! Lekker voor bij de koffie! :D

that looks so professional and delicious. Hard to believe it’s as simple as you say. Sorry to hear about this unfortunate fresh pear allergy… so cooked pear is fine?

Christine, it really is easy! The only tricky part is inverting the tarte, but don’t be scared. If the fruit sticks, just use a fork and put it back :-)

Re: the pear allergy, I did get a bit of an allergic reaction to the cooked pear in this tart. Bummer! I’m not going to eat anymore. It’s too much trouble. I may try a pear from the grocery and see if maybe it’s just this pear tree that’s giving me troubles.

6. lucylucia says:

pears are great to bake with. For whatever reason, they also look especially impressive!!