Ask an Expat: It’s here…

Welcome Autumn!

On Saturday, we turned on the heat for the first time. We would have had a fire too, but the fireplace is in the music studio, and there isn’t a lot of lounging space in there. Still, it was a cozy weekend :-)

Saturday, I enjoyed a lovely late lunch with my husband while Roxi was in her music class. On Sunday, Roxi went to a friend’s house for a visit. Sunday evening, we set up the new elliptical machine–our new PE class ;-) Roxi and I have already had our turn on it this morning. Mr. DJ said he prefers to exercise in the PM after work.

It’s pitch dark here at 7:30 now. Pretty soon, we’ll be falling back an hour and the nights will get even longer. New expats, if you’re not doing so already, be sure to take your vitamins (especially vitamin D!!) and get enough exercise. If you’re moving from a sunny climate, these 100 days of darkness can be really hard to take, and just doing these two things will help a lot.

If that’s not enough, a good, strong cup of tea about 4pm really helps me get over that 8pm slump ;-)

PS I thought you might get a kick out of this video from the Guardian: How to dress: American Tan Tights Roxi and I just enjoy saying “fake bare legs”.

Filed Under: Ask an ExpatBlogExpat LifeFeatured

Beautiful picture!
    Are you sure it’s a 100 days of darkness? To me it feels more like 500! :D And I actually spend 60 of those in bloody-hot Córdoba (Arg). Usually from Dec. to March is a tough time of the year for me. It has its charms, especially when it snows, but I have to fight hard to overcome the winter blues.
    I’ll start taking my vitamin D right away – thanks for reminding me!

Aledys, I do agree about the days of darkness seeming like too many. We go back to Texas over Christmas break, so that helps a lot. And then we try to go somewhere with sun over the Feb break, so that usually gets us through the rest of winter.

I hope you get a healthy dose of natural vitamin D while you are in Argentina! And of course, your fill of delicious Argentinian cuisine. Lekker!!

2. julia says:

The heat?! Crazy! I would not do well with so much darkness – I feel like an old lady when I sit out in the sun (I’ll probably look like one too soon). Just a few minutes feels so good.

You reminded me that I wanted to Ask an Expat something. As I was cringing in the dentist’s chair the other day my mind was trying to cope with the situation by wondering…what do you do about doctors? Do you now have a dentist over there? Do they take your insurance?

Julia, despite the darkness, I do prefer this climate to Texas. I just totally wilt in that weather, even when I lived there. I have a much healthier lifestyle up in the North ;-)

That is a good question for Ask and Expat. I’ll cover it on Thursday. Thanks!

lovely fall photo today! I checked, our clocks go back Nov 7th, a week later than you. I hope you get lots of use out of your ellipticals.

Christine, I LOVE the elliptical machine. I’ve never had such a painless workout EVER. By the way, I know you will be amused by my workout buddy… his name is Adam ;-)

4. Sandra says:

Love the Autumn colours! Beautiful photo! Thanks to remind me about Vitamin D ;-)
    Have a cosy Autumn! ;-)
    Fireplace, a tea, delightful!!

5. lucylucia says:

Gorgeous reds. The leaves have yet to turn here in the Midwest, but we had our first day in the 50s so I’m sure the leaves aren’t far behind!

6. Kathy Amen says:

We actually got just below 60 this morning and it felt wonderful! Buck up for those short winter days–probably the ONLY thing I don’t miss about London.

7. Mimsy says:

WoooHooo! Yes, the temperature here in Houston was in the mid-sixties this morning! Fall has arrived!

8. Invader_Stu says:

We’re almost at the stage of turning on the heater. We’re trying to stay in deniyal (me and spellchecker can’t figure out how to spell that word either) as long as we can :)