The fellow who takes care of our garden announced that the pears are ready! And boy are they. They are so crisp and sweet. I’ve eaten six in the last two days!
Unfortunately, I think that I may be a little allergic to them :-(
This seems to be a new development. I’ve had sort of a hivey feeling in my arms, face, and lips the last couple of days. I thought I might have developed a wheat allergy–several of my friends have discovered their intolerance for wheat recently. But as I thought through what I ate this weekend, I couldn’t come up with anything new that might cause such a reaction…
Except for the pears.
And sure enough, after eating half of a pear this morning, I realized my arms, lips and face were starting to feel kind of weird–like a rash under my skin. I did a search for “pear allergy” and found this: “Oral Allergy Syndrome” or “Pollen-Food Allergy”.
I am guessing that’s what I have. It does looks like there are ways for me to enjoy our pears (mostly involving cooking). And it may still be possible for me to eat raw pears. One site recommended washing the fruit for at least 30 seconds, another suggested peeling the fruit, and still another said to microwave them for 30 seconds. I also read simply slicing the fruit and leaving it for a while helps breakdown the allergens. I’m going to try washing and peeling the pears and make my way down the list if that doesn’t do the trick.
On a slightly different note: I just found out we have quince! So, in our garden, we have: pears, hazelnuts, grapes and quince. And that’s what I know about. I wonder what spring will bring?
About the Author: JaPRA is an expat Texan living in Boston (by way of London by way of Houston) with her husband (Mr. DJ), their 19-year old daughter (Roxi), and their dog Trudy.