They are ready (Om nom nom)

The fellow who takes care of our garden announced that the pears are ready! And boy are they. They are so crisp and sweet. I’ve eaten six in the last two days!

Unfortunately, I think that I may be a little allergic to them :-(

This seems to be a new development. I’ve had sort of a hivey feeling in my arms, face, and lips the last couple of days. I thought I might have developed a wheat allergy–several of my friends have discovered their intolerance for wheat recently. But as I thought through what I ate this weekend, I couldn’t come up with anything new that might cause such a reaction…

Except for the pears.

And sure enough, after eating half of a pear this morning, I realized my arms, lips and face were starting to feel kind of weird–like a rash under my skin. I did a search for “pear allergy” and found this: “Oral Allergy Syndrome” or “Pollen-Food Allergy”.

I am guessing that’s what I have. It does looks like there are ways for me to enjoy our pears (mostly involving cooking). And it may still be possible for me to eat raw pears. One site recommended washing the fruit for at least 30 seconds, another suggested peeling the fruit, and still another said to microwave them for 30 seconds. I also read simply slicing the fruit and leaving it for a while helps breakdown the allergens. I’m going to try washing and peeling the pears and make my way down the list if that doesn’t do the trick.

~

On a slightly different note: I just found out we have quince! So, in our garden, we have: pears, hazelnuts, grapes and quince. And that’s what I know about. I wonder what spring will bring?

Filed Under: BlogFeaturedFood

Oh are they ready? Fantastic! Can you send your gardener over to check if my apples are ready? I’ve been closely inspecting them for the last couple of days and my husband tells me they are not yet ready… I discovered that if I move the fruit towards the sun, the peel gets a brighter shade of red, so now, I’m constantly changing their position to get them evenly “tanned” :D I’m impatient to taste them!
    How odd that you would have an allergy caused by the fruit. I hope washing and peeling them works!

I am sure your apples will be ready any day now, Aledys. Are you ready for them? Apple sauce, apple butter, baked apples, apple dumplings, apple cake… :-)

2. Kathy says:

Love pears especially in salads, stinks you are allergic! Hope England is treating you well, and your daughter studies are going well. Looking forward to wonderful London pictures this year.

I love them in salad too, Kathy! I am wondering if my allergies might be to his variety in particular… or even these pears in this part of England. I’ve never had troubles before.

I’ve been enjoying your pics in and around Niagara. It looks like you’re settling in just fine :-)

Hmmm..we just brought back a bunch of pears from Canada and I haven’t had one yet. (eating up my more perishable plums) How ‘interesing’ to hear of a fruit allergy developing later in life. I hope the steps you take let you enjoy them raw, otherwise I hope to see a lot of pear tarts ahead…with a frangipane base of course. ;)

Mmm plums! Yes, this pear allergy stinks. I’m going to buy some pears from the grocery store and see if I’m allergic to those. I’ve never been before!

4. Kristen says:

What an unexpected allergy! I think I have the same thing with clams. Whenever I have clam chowder, I get that tingly thing, but on lips only. I’m afraid that my very technical response has always been, “It’s worth it!” But if you’re really uncomfortable, of course not.

What a garden you have! I wonder what you’ll do with your quince. So lovely just to look at! I’m enjoying your tales so much.

5. Kathy says:

Maybe just eating more moderate portions (8-) ) might help with the pear allergy.

Let me know what quince tastes like–I’ve never had any. It just sounds like such a wonderfully English fruit!

6. julia says:

I have the cure for your allergy! Take a Benadryl first and then enjoy! I’m allergic to a couple of fruits and veggies (raw only). If I really want it I eat it and then take something after (if my reaction gets really bad – you know, like blisters on your lips, things like that).

Modern medicine is good for something!

• Mimsy says:

I hope you can resolve the allergy problem…be sure to have Benadryl on hand before you try any more. You do not want to have your throat swell up or go into anaphylactic shock.
      Quince sounds quite delicious. I know that the Brits have many cheeses that would be delicious with it, but do try to get some Spanish Manchego, too. It’s a classic combination!
      And thank you for the glorious crimson background in your pear photo. It just pops! xoxMM

Mimsy, I definitely have Benadryl in the house. But it just occurred to me that maybe I should carry one around with me in case this happens when I’m out and about. I’ve never experienced a food allergy before.

And oh, yeah… Manchego with quince paste!!! I’m going to try making some if I have enough fruit. Thanks for the tip.

PS That crimson is part of a Texas flag I am painting :-)

Julia, I took a 1/2 a Benadryl after I ate that pear… and promptly had a nice one hour nap ;-)

So what kinds of fruits and veggies are you allergic to? I am now wondering if I might be sensitive to other things and I just never noticed.

7. Amanda says:

how lucky you are to have pears — there is little more delicious than a fresh pair pulled from a tree — but so sorry to hear you might be allergic!! maybe the quinces won’t affect you that way??

xoxo