Coffee Bubble Tea

Cheers!

I used this recipe to start, but I didn’t really want to open a can of sweetened condensed milk just for two drinks. So here’s what I did:

Boil the tapioca pearls according to the directions (mine took about 5 minutes). You only need about 1/8 cup per drink, unless you want to be REALLY full.

1 shot espresso with 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste), stir over ice then add enough cold milk until it looks right (I used semi-skim).

Put the tapioca in the bottom of a glass, pour in coffee mixture, add a bubble tea straw and enjoy!

~

Bubble tea drinks aren’t as popular on this side of the pond, but Roxi and I did find a place in London that makes them (mmm mango coconut!). How fun is it that we can make this at home, though?!

Have a great weekend everyone! Do you have anything special planned? Roxi has music school on Saturday but Sunday, we don’t have a single thing planned. Hurray!!

Filed Under: BlogFeaturedFood

1. julia says:

I have never heard of this before. What does the tapioca do to the drink?

The weekend for us? Hmm. Don’t know the high is only going to be 87 degrees so maybe we’ll use the fireplace. No, really, I’ve been wanting to go to this place
    Hopefully it’ll happen.

Julia, the tapioca doesn’t really do anything to the drink except make it more of a snack than a beverage.

Did you go to coral gabeles? It looked really nice.

2. Janine H says:

Looks very delicious but i’ve never heard of it before, too.

This weekend: heading out to Loèche-les-Bains for a girly weekend, thermal baths, eventually some massage, food and laughter. I’m going with four girlfriends, it’s gonna be a lot of fun :-)

3. Emm says:

I have a braai tomorrow at Ste’s brother’s wife’s first cousin but I think it is going to become a ‘cook South African-type meat in the oven’ type exercise.

I usually like all of your culinary suggestions but this sounds yucky. I remain opened to being convinced otherwise though!

4. lucylucia says:

Hmmm. I’ve never heard of bubble tea, but it looks interesting!

I never heard of this before! I don’t get the “tea” part of the drink? Oh you are so exotic, my friend! :D

Aledys, I think “bubble tea” started out as a tea drink, but as it evolved, people started making them with juice or coffee instead. I’m just lazy and call all of these tapioca drinks “Bubble Tea”. I supposed technically, the drink we made would be called “Iced Coffee Pearl” or something like that ;-)

that looks so good and refreshing and very professional. Nothing exciting planned here this weekend!

Christine, we sure did miss our bubble tea cafes from Texas! I’m so glad I happened to find the tapioca pearls at an Asian grocery a few weeks back.

Hope you had a relaxing weekend!

7. maud says:

it’s so delicious. I love bubble tea. I tasted bubble tea in Canada. I’d love to find it in Brussels. If someone knows an address. Please let me know. BYE maud