Sherlock Holmes Museum (London) with Presepio Canal

Last weekend, I met a new friend at the Sherlock Holmes Museum–Sandra, author of the blog Presépio com Vista para o Canal. She and her husband were in town to celebrate her birthday and how fortunate for me that their schedule permitted for an afternoon outing. Sandra is a big Sherlock Holmes fan and it was a joy to tour this museum with her.

“Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson lived at 221b Baker Street from about 1881-1904.”

I think my favourite part of our tour was when we entered Holmes’ study and there was Doctor Watson. He introduced himself to the group and my enthusiastic new friend stepped forward, hand stretched, and said “Hello, I am Sandra!” I’m telling you, she is just darling.

The Sherlock Holmes Museum is a three story terrace house lovingly decorated with Victorian era furniture and household items.

You don’t have to be a Sherlock Holmes fan to enjoy the house.

I am a fan of Victorian literature and I found it interesting to see how people lived during those times. This home was built in 1815, by the way.

Of course, if you are a big Sherlock Holmes fan, you are in for a treat :-)

After our tour and turn around the giftstore, we went to a nearby pub to chat and enjoy

a fish and chips lunch and birthday cake in the form of sticky toffee puds. Hartelijk gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag, Sandra! It was lovely to meet you and your charming man. Hope to see you again soon!

Sherlock Holmes Museum

221b Baker Street London NW1 6XE

Open every day 9:30 am to 6:30 pm

PS Happy American Thanksgiving!! Here’s a video of the museum in case you need something to watch whilst you digest your holiday meal. xoxo

Filed Under: BlogFeaturedMuseumsWhat to Do

1. Sandra says:

Your photos are gorgeous, dear Japra :-)

So beautiful post!

It was lovely to meet you and your husband! Your hugs are so good! Very welcoming:-)

Only today, I’ve seen our photos. I’ve been busy with the courses, but as soon as possible, this weekend for sure, I will publish our journey in England.

I’m so glad for your post. So, so beautiful!!!

Thank you!!

I want to come back in England. There is you and the lovely plays in West End! :-) the museums, such beautuful city!

Thanks for the tour, it was fascinating. They’ve done such a good job with that lovely victorian home. The first thought that went through my mind: ‘wait a minute, was Sherlock Holmes real?’ I didn’t think so!

And I love your authentic fish and chips lunch.

LOL, I know! I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn’t you love to do a tour of, say, James Bond’s flat? I bet it would be cool ;-)

The fish and chips was very good!! I haven’t had it in ages.

3. Kristen says:

Thank you so much! We’ve driven past this museum six hundred times. Now Avery’s such a huge fan of the new telly programme, we’ll have to go. Have you seen the show? I think it’s massively well done. And the museum let you take photos, amazing!

Kristen, I need to watch that show and read the books and then go back. And yes, isn’t it nice that they allowed photography? Doctor Watson said it was okay :-)

4. julia says:

How fun! The wax figures though…ick.

I love the outside of the pub pictures – why do things look so cool in England?

5. Kathy says:

What I always wonder about Victorian interior decorating is how they kept everything dusted! I guess having an army of servants was required.

I’ll have to put this on my “return to London” to-do list. Thanks!

Lovely tour JaPRA.

The Victorian age was wonderful for those who could live like that, not so great for the rest of the masses incl even those who worked long hard hours in houses like this.

7. What a beautiful and lovely is that victorian house!!! Very british. I love the tea table… and the end of this tour, eating!!!
    Very good for all of you!!!

Patricia, the tea table was my favourite thing! It was tiny and I could have just slipped in for a nice cuppa ;-)

Yes, we had a very nice time. Maybe one day you, Aledys and Sandra will come visit and we can have a nice pub lunch!

8. Simone says:

Hey! That’s cool, Stu & I went there as well one time. Good old Bakerstreet 221b! We didn’t have time for the museum, but we did do the museum shop! And the picture with the bobby.After seeing these pics I know for sure now, we have to go back!!!

Thanks for sharing!

9. Bee says:

I can’t believe that I’ve never been there!
    Wonderful pictures; I felt like I was there with you.

I wonder if they have gotten a big bump in attendance because of the success of the recent movie and BBC series?

Maybe so, Bee! The gift store was pretty crowded when we got there (on a Sunday). I was glad it wasn’t tourist season, though. I bet they have to limit the number of people they let in at one time. The rooms are pretty cozy and the trinkets are left out where anyone could bump them. Kind of like visiting your great-aunt’s house ;-)