She smelled a rat

Since winter, Trudy has been one obsessed dog.

You see, almost as soon as the weather turned cold, we started hearing little scratches coming from the utility room, behind the baseboards, behind one of the cabinets in the kitchen, under the floor in the entry hall.

And it made Trudy crazy, especially since with the scratches came a horrible smell. We couldn’t detect it with our lame human noses. It’s just that Trudy’s sniffer contains 200 million receptors. And frankly, that horrible smell was just plain offensive to her.

So finally, after months of nagging (from Trudy), we got an electric rat trap. Mr. DJ installed it last weekend and checked it every day. Everyday it was empty.

Until yesterday morning.

After making some coffee, I sat down on the couch in the conservatory to read. Normally Trudy would come over and sit or lie next to me, but yesterday, Trudy would not stop smelling the cabinet where we put the trap*. She kept pointing at it and kept telling me there was something in there.

But after all these months of her whining and pointing, we got kind of immune to her antics. After about 20 minutes of doggy pleading–gosh Mom, you are SO dense!–I gave in and I told Mr. DJ that Trudy was pretty sure there was something in the trap. He didn’t believe her either, having just checked the trap earlier; however, sometimes it’s good to humour the dog. So he checked anyway. Sure enough, there was a huge rat! GOOD DOG!!

So Trudy is our hero. From now on, her calling card will read: Trudy, bug and rat huntress.

*If anyone is wondering, we got this trap.  We really didn’t want to have to use one, but the rat got into some of our food… Anyway, we thought this was better than poison or any of the other traps.

Filed Under: BlogFeatured

1. Invader_Stu says:

Good thing that you caught it. Hopefully it was the only one.

2. Dave Lucas says:

Careful! Rats harbor many diseases. Be safe!

oh so glad you caught it.

We used to have tiny mice that would come up from the cellar…very small shrew like things…but a rat! Oh good dog Trudy! That puts the fearofGod in me.

5. jane says:

Hello, Just catching up on your posts. Looks like you have had some interesting travels and exciting times with your daughter’s music too. All sounds fun, just not the rat:(

6. Brave girl! I actually mean YOU, JaPRA, in addition to Trudy! We had a so-called “country rat” in our CT house who came up onto the kitchen counters during the week while we were away and left teeth marks on the cold butter. Yuck!

7. LucyLucia says:

Oh the horror. I freak out when the cats find a spider. Thank goodness Trudy is there to protect the family!! :)

8. Julia says:

This may convince me to get a dog-I hope she got a good treat!

9. I was wondering who smelled the rat. Good old Trudy. We sometimes trap mice in the fall.

10. Amanda says:

trudy was just doing her job — yay her!

hey, missed you and was wondering where you’ve been?! but now i read you were in greece – looking forward to more photos of your odyssey!!

welcome back ;-)

11. Good job there Trudy, quite the huntress. Mice are one thing (bad enough) but rats, ugh. Glad it’s gone.

12. Barbara Blundell says:

Well done Trudy, You’re a star. Anytime you would like to come for holiday you will be welcome .( Like your Photo )

13. Emm says:

Eeek! I thought I had commented already to say how clever and talented dear Trudy is. Well done girl!

I don’t think there is any humane way to get rid of rats and at least a trap is pretty quick? Poison makes them go on a frantic search for water which means their last moments put them out in open spaces and they are often terrified.

Yuck! Great that Trudy is such a clean, rose-smell loving girl!! :D Didn’t she pull her I-told-you-so face after you found the ugly thing in the trap? :D

15. Chris says:

This is a stunning photo. I’m putting it on my desktop.

16. Chris says:

I like commenting from home! They actually work, here!